CapaInstaller Case Study
Thansen: “The logic is simple — we need something that works!”
We have spoken to Bo Bommerholt Sørensen, Head of IT and e-Commerce at thansen, about his experience with CapaSystems over the years. Bo has been working closely with CapaInstaller, both as IT Engineer and now as Manager, where he considers strategic solutions that simply can work at thansen.
Company Name: Thansen
Customer since: 2011
From a niche shop to an all-Denmark supplier to the entire family — and then some. Thansen has been a CapaSystems client for more than 10 years, and their IT setup today has remained more or less the same as it was 10 years ago, even though the company has grown to 125 shops spread all over Denmark and Norway, along with headquarters and a 24/7 warehouse.
When the software just needs to work
The interesting thing about thansen is the number of their physical shops and the complexity of their infrastructure. The infrastructure comprises everything, from cash registers, computers at the warehouse, the numbering system at the shops as well as the information displays that are dependent on the Internet and simply have to work better in some places than others.
Thus, with more than 800 connected computers throughout the company as well as an unconventional Point-of-Sale (POS) system, it is important to thoroughly test updates and new features, as a single bug will affect adversely all devices rather than just 50, which is one of the reasons why thansen works with CapaInstaller.
– What sets us apart from so many others is that we do not have so much software. We do not have to prepare a number of different software packages, but they, on the other hand do, must work 100 per cent. We are a retail business where our livelihood depends on ensuring that things work, and so logic in terms of IT must be spot on, says Bo Sørensen.
With his past as IT engineer at thansen, Bo Sørensen has a solid background knowledge and experience with CapaInstaller, which he uses in his daily work as CIO. He applies this knowledge when making strategic decisions and emphasises that CapaInstaller is a tool that contains a great deal of strategy.
– My concern is what our Point-of-Sale (POS) system will look like in five years. 80% of our PCs run POS, and this is, after all, 80% of the solution. Therefore, it is important that the tools we use work, and our cooperation with CapaSystems allows us to come with inputs for what we want, and we can get answers at once when we are confronted with a problem. The logic is simple — to roll something out, we need something that works, says Bo Sørensen.
A simple system designed for growth
Partnerships develop over the years, and this has also given occasion for changes along the way. In the past 20 years, thansen has experienced massive growth, and the sheer number of their locations requires solutions that can help them from A to Z. This is one of the reasons why Bo Sørensen and his team of 30 developers continue to use CapaInstaller, as its simple and intuitive setup makes it an easy tool to work with.
– Our setup has not changed particularly much, but it is clear that we naturally keep track of whether the system is able to meet our requirements, also even if we “only” have 800 PCs, plus the miscellaneous ones in our various locations, says Bo Sørensen and continues:
– After all, we went for CapaSystems and CapaInstaller some time ago, because it was easy to use and helped us in our day-to-day work when rolling out the software. Apart from that, they are good at warning us when there are major Windows updates, so we are prepared and not taken by surprise.
Good scaling options
In line with its growth, thansen has further upscaled its IT infrastructure. Needs have undergone continuous changes! after thansen opened more and more shops, which is why it was essential that the IT Department could roll out updates ensuring that everything can work with the new devices.
– When we started with CapaInstaller, we had around 40 shops, and we currently use it in all 125 locations, so you can safely say that it can be upscaled, says Bo Sørensen and concludes:
– Our experience is that it has been easy to work with and that as a tool, CapaInstaller works really well for us. We use their consultants perhaps 5 to 10 times a year, where they help with a bit of everything, but even given this little additional consulting, the biggest advantage has been that CapaInstaller is readily accessible and easy to use.
See it live!
Let us show you, what CapaSystems can do for your company